Saturday, March 5, 2011

Q&A: connecting computer directly to Comcast modem and other home computers to router?|home router

Q&A: connecting computer directly to Comcast modem and other home computers to router?|home router

Is there a way to hook up my main work-from-home computer directly to the Comast modem (bypassing the router), but long-lasting to have the other home computers (two) hard connected to the router? I was in suspense that there might be some sort of splitter cable unfilled so I do not have to deal with the router and certain issues it causes with my computer speed when I log into VPN connection for work purposes. Any help appreciated…

Answer by wefixcomputers.net
Typically the Comcast modem only has one output, so it can only be connected to the Router or a single Computer.

Since you need to share the connection by the router, you will not be able to plug the computer directly into the Modem since the connection is already used by the router.

Instead you can connect the computer to the Router and configure the router for DMZ. This effectively puts the computer in front of the router so that no connections are blocked and your VPN will work.

Answer by OZ
If the router has a usb and ethernet connector then hook the single computer to the usb and the router to the ethernet. You will get a seperate IP for the usb as a bonus. The router is vacant already by the mac address so it will get 2 IPs

Answer by Justin
You will not be able to do that. You only get one IP address from your ISP. Your PC will need one and so will your router. Some ISP’s will get you an extra ip for more cash. One business you can try is background up a DMZ on the router to your PC.
http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101146.asp

Know better? Leave your own answer in the observations!

What is the best Cisco router to use with my cable modem at home. I know how to configure Cisco IOS, just looking for CHEEPEST router with like 2 Ethernet ports, I can use external switch. Also, looking for ability to VPN into my network.
Don’t want a Linksys, I want a real CISCO router That I can get my hands dirty and configure it just so how I want it.

Answer by watchher01
Just buy a linksys, (made by cisco) cheapest one they have is fine for home use

Answer by intel233
Linksys Router would be the simplest.. An real cisco router for 2 ports seems like heavy-handedness…. You can pickup a 4 port linksys for like 75 bucks

Answer by bsmith13421
linksys its for home use its made by cisco

Answer by Slim Whitman
If you can find an ancient 1720 or 1600 series on Ebay that’d be your best bet.

Answer by floridaman39us
Linksys is made by Cisco. But I am thought in this area that tasty turkey that I will chomp into on thursday. I might even eat some ham.

What do you reckon? Answer below!

Makeshift (and low-cost) gear rack
home router

Image by Rae Whitlock
Inspired by this guy.

I didn’t see the need or advantage in having the surge protector in the rack as he did, but otherwise, splendid thought. I even establish the same trays he used.

No comments:

Post a Comment